- Saber Sim was developed by Hardball Times and FanGraphs author Matt Hunter, SaberSim (originally titled Baseball Sim) to run simulated baseball games. You can customize it and add in the players you want, use current projected stats or use past season stats . For more info Developer’s article
- Baseball Heat Maps has:
- Injury databases
- Batted ball distance
- PITCHf/x database
- Rich data sets and tools
Developed by Hardball Times & FanGraphs author Jeff Zimmerman & his brother Darrell, this is a site on which you could spend hours and not even scratch the surface of what is housed there. As if the wealth of data on the site wasn’t great enough, many of the tools have leaderboards for easier consumption.
- Bill Pettis Spray Chart Tool Developed by Hardball Times and FanGraphs author Bill Petti. Hitter, pitcher and ballpark comparisons. For more info, read Bill’s Article
- MLB Payrolls Interactive payroll tool by Phil Roth It puts salary info into a larger context and allows users to see how teams stack up on a macro level and also examine the finer detail of each team’s payroll going all the way back to 1998
- Markov Calculator by Tom Tango
Compute run expectancy tables and linear weights with Markov Chains. Input at-bats, hits, doubles, etc. and then press a button. The program will do the rest. You can also find lots of related and insightful commentary at Tango’s blog.
He puts an entertaining spin on things while offering up useful Fantasy Baseball information.
But was never able to figure it out. Right when I accepted the fact that this is a made up character, I got to meet him at the Tout Wars weekend after party at Foleys in 2016.
The real Grey did not disappoint, as he was just as quirky and cool in real life.
On Fridays, Grey also does his Buy/Sell column. Another great column I read every week.
Grey is obviously my favorite, but the other writers at Razzball are also informative and entertaining. It’s almost as if they had to pass some sort of funny test before they were hired..
And Grey answers all commenters questions. I swear he has to spend most of his day doing this..
Razzball also offers a few premium options that are worth the money should you feel the need to get super serious:
This tool is designed to identify attractive short-term pitcher pickups – aka fantasy baseball streamers/streaming pitchers. It could also be used to determine when to start/sit a pitcher on your roster.
Here are just a few of the Tools over at Smart Fantasy Baseball: (Click on Name of Tool to Read More)
These posts highlight practical uses of the Player ID Map:
The Projection Aggregator is an easy to use Excel spreadsheet that can combine (or average) up to three different projection sets to give you the best possible set of projections to use for the upcoming season. You can use just about any well known projection source you have at your disposal. Download your favorite projections, fill out the settings tab shown below (instructions included), and you’re done.No complicated formulas. No VLOOKUPs. Just download projections, bring them in to the Aggregator, and fill out the settings below. That’s it! You’ll have better projections in minutes.
Have you ever tried to join or use a VLOOKUP to combine information from different sites, only to realize that the White Sox are abbreviated “CHW” on one site and “CHA” on another? Or the Giants are “SF” on a site and “SFG” on another?Honestly, this doesn’t happen to me often. But it will occasionally. I figured it might be helpful to document the team abbreviations used on the major sites and make it easily available for download.
The map currently has team abbreviations for the following sites:
- Baseball Reference
- Baseball Prospectus
- Fantasy Pros
- Baseball Press
- Draft Kings
- Roster Resource URL
Projecting X 2.0 has been since released and the spreadsheet updated.Find Out More Here
Why play ottoneu?
Ottoneu is smarter, better fantasy baseball. We looked at the various ways that fantasy baseball wasn’t living up to the sport it was based on and we improved each one.
- Depth and Breadth With 12-team leagues, 40-man rosters, full access to the minor leagues, and competition as knowledgeable about baseball as you are, the challenge of building a winner is that much more exciting.
- Build for Today and Tomorrow The end of the regular season is just the beginning. With ottoneu fantasy baseball, you have the option to keep every single player on your roster from one season to the next. Find the perfect match of stars and prospects to stay competitive for the long haul. Move expensive players for keepers if you’re playing for the future, or sacrifice your future for today. The result is more options, more flexibility, and a better fantasy baseball experience.
- Auctions for Everyone Gone are the days of lamenting your pick in the draft or missing out on a free agent because you could not get to your computer in time. All players in ottoneu fantasy baseball are distributed via league-wide auctions. The market dictates, and every team wins.
How much does this cost?
While there are promotions all the time, the base cost for one team for one season is $9.99, or less than $1 a month.
Are there any prizes for winning an ottoneu league?
Yes! We have prize tiers! You can check out the details here.
Oh man, this is a pretty deep game. Where can I read a bit about ottoneu strategy?
Yeah, ottoneu is a pretty deep game, but one of the great benefits of being aligned with FanGraphs is that there is no shortage of great writing about ottoneu. Start with Chad Young’s columns on RotoGraphs.
How does the auction draft work?
Where is insert player’s name and why can’t I add him to my team?
We are proud of having one of the deepest player universes out there. If you want to start an auction on an American professional baseball player that you can’t find on ottoneu, contact us and we will do everything we can to add this player.
Do I need 40 players on my team to accumulate stats?
No! You will always accumulate stats, though if your team is in an illegal state, you won’t be able to change lineups or make trades without first resolving that.
How do cap penalties work?
If you cut a player in the off-season (after the regular season ends and before the keeper deadline), there is no penalty of any sort. However, during the season, there is a 50% penalty rounded up for any cuts. So if you cut a $50 player, he will count $25 against your cap. If you cut a $1 player, he counts a full $1 against your cap, so be careful! If another team either claims the player off of waivers for the full amount or wins the player during a 48-hour auction, your cap penalty is fully removed.
What are the different game types?
There are 4 game types for ottoneu fantasy baseball. They differ in the categories used and the scoring methods:
- Old School – Rotisserie-style 5×5 (AVG, HR, RBI, SB, R and W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K). For the traditionalist in you.
- ottoneu Classic – Rotisserie-style 4×4 sabermetric-hybrid (OBP, SLG, HR, R and ERA, WHIP, HR/9, K). This is the stat set of the original league that has been active since 2005.
- FanGraphs Points – Points based on Linear Weights. Based on work by Justin Merry. Read his great FAQ about the system, or read more detailed pieces behind the hitting and pitching point values.
Hitting AB -1.0 H 5.6 2B 2.9 3B 5.7 HR 9.4 BB 3.0 HBP 3.0 SB 1.9 CS -2.8 Pitching IP 7.4 K 2.0 H -2.6 BB -3.0 HBP -3.0 HR -12.3 SV 5.0 HOLDS 4.0
- SABR Points – Like FanGraphs points, but with FIP-based pitching scoring. The original points system!
Hitting AB -1.0 H 5.6 2B 2.9 3B 5.7 HR 9.4 BB 3.0 HBP 3.0 SB 1.9 CS -2.8 Pitching IP 5.0 K 2.0 BB -3.0 HBP -3.0 HR -13.0 SV 5.0 HOLDS 4.0
For any further questions, please read the full rules or contact us.
Fangraphs Live Features:
- Before the Game
Lineups: On our live scoreboard page, we always have up to date lineups for each and every game of the season. These are typically updated as soon as they become available.
Game Odds: Prior to each game we try to predict the chance of each team winning. These are based on our depth chart projections and take into account the starting lineup and starting pitcher. If there is no starting lineup yet, we try and do our best to predict the chances of each team winning anyway.
Probable Starter / Lineup Leaderboards: Want all the probable pitchers and lineups entered into a custom leaderboard for you? We do it for you!
- During the Game
Live Win Probability Charts: Check out our live win probability charts, detailed box scores, pitch chart, and play-by-play data. These are all updated in real time.
Live Player Page Stats: If a player is playing today, you’ll see his updated live stats on his player page.
- After the Game
Playoff Probabilities: When a game ends, we do our best to quickly update our playoff probabilities.
Choose which experts you want to use and watch the magic happen as Fantasy Pros will combine the rankings of your favorite experts and spit out the data.
Mine are there (Andrea) as well as many others in the Fantasy Baseball Industry. They do other sports as well but I can only account for Baseball.
Tired of waiting forever to finish a mock draft? The Draft simulator takes less than five minutes!
The Draft Analyzer provides an instant analysis of your mock and real drafts. It gives you a quick idea of how your team stacks up