23-year-old Rockies outfielder, Yonathan Daza, struts out to the plate like an overly confident prospect. He waits for a strike before hitting a ground ball towards first base. He did hustle as fast as he could and actually almost made it there safe.
- Lots of speed. 31 steals in 519 at bats at High-A in 2017
Chicago White Sox Catcher prospect, Seby Zavala, has a good eye on runners and isn’t afraid to pick a guy off. If you try to run, he is going to throw you out. He looks good at the plate as well, patiently waiting for a strike before swinging.
Zavala played catcher and left field for San Diego State University before getting drafted by the White Sox in the 12th round of the 2015 player draft.
He missed all of 2013 with injuries but came back in 2014 to play in all 63 games, with 62 of them in left field.
- Started the year with an eight-game hitting streak during which he batted .314 with three doubles, three RBI and six runs scored
- Another eight-game hitting streak from April 19 to May 3, when he hit .344 with three RBI and six runs scored
- Reached base in each of the first 17 games
- 18 multi-hit and seven multi-RBI games
- Hit .348 over six games at the Mountain West Tournament (May 21-25) with a double and five RBI
- Drove in all three runs in SDSU’s 3-2 win over Nevada (May 24) in 10 innings including the winning run with an RBI single in the bottom of the 10th
- Earned Mountain West Baseball Player of the Week from March 24-30 when he hit .412
- Back in June, Zavala had a 10 game streak when he had nine hits, four home runs and 15 RBI.
If you have time, take a look at the minor league report video by CSNChicago from June 2017
I learned that:
- Lucas Giolito’s dad is in the video game industry so he has been a huge gamer his entire life.
- Nick Delmonico, who made his major league debut for the White Sox in 2017, almost quit baseball after he was suspended for 50 games for testing positive for amphtamines in 2014. He did well at the major league level and should be on your radar as we enter spring
Share the Post